Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Forever Plaid!

I have many idiosyncrasies -- could easily be voted the president of the Island of Misfit Toys -- and there are things that I just LOVE that others find unusual to say the least.

But the greatest of these could possibly be my love affair with plaid.

Yes - plaid.

I'm not talking about any old plaid either -- no madras or light cotton -- I'm talking about authentic Scottish and Irish clan based tartans -- generally loomed from wool.

I'm sure this can be traced to my early education at the hands of Sister Maria Deloris at our local Catholic school. We wore plaid every day -- jumper, white blouse with peter pan collar and saddle shoes.

Once we moved and I transferred to public school, I was a mess -- I missed the plaid! Suddenly I had to select clothes to wear to school in the morning. My Mom would take me school shopping and desperately try to point me toward fashionable clothes -- nope -- I wanted to wear a Black Watch tartan with a navy sweater. Fortunately the preppy look was in during the mid-eighties...

I almost wore a plaid gown to the Prom -- but Mom put her foot down.

I actually got married in a Royal Stewart kilt and matching sweater (and have repeatedly asked my husband to make sure I get buried in my Black Watch tartan)!

I still wear saddle shoes...and have been asked if I'm going to a "fifties" party -- nope, just to the office...

Plaid is comfortable to me...like I imagine old sweats are to some people? My bathrobe is plaid, as is much of my existing wardrobe and my dog's bed. In 2003 I almost bought a mini-cooper with an "all plaid" interior -- alas, my 6'2" hubby couldn't fit into it.

When the following cartoon came out this morning -- no less than six people forwarded it me -- all referencing some variation of "look -- this is about you!"



What can I say...they speak the truth!

Long live plaid!

No comments: