Monday, September 22, 2008

Dammit Janet!

Okay...I rarely, if ever climb up on a political soapbox...but this has really got me steamed!

Flipping through the morning news shows during the daily 'brushing of the teeth/painting of the face' rituals...and see star of stage and screen Susan Sarandon being interviewed on some red carpet or another.

I've enjoyed her work over the years...not one of my favorites, but an actor that I can generally count on for quality work in quality films, etc. So I paused...time for flossing...

And the interviewer asks her what her opinion is of VP candidate Sarah Palin.

Had I not had a mouthful of floss, I probably would have changed the channel at this point. I mean, really -- who gives a flying fig what Susan Sarandon or any 'celebrity' for that matter thinks of the candidates?

I much prefer to do my research and form my own opinions -- and would encourage anyone to do the same...

But I digress...

Susan Sarandon then said (and apologies if I've gotten a word or two wrong here...but it's darn close) "Well, Jesus was a community worker and Pontius Pilate was a governor...and I think that sums it up."

Are you kidding me?

Did Susan Sarandon just compare Barack Obama to JESUS? And Sarah Palin to the man who ordered his crucifiction??

I almost choked on my dental floss!

Now I don't care what your political views and opinions are...really...I've got friends on both sides of the debate.

But come on!

Even the interviewer seemed flummoxed!

I can't even imagine that Barack Obama would be pleased at this obviously idiotic remark -- can you see the posters: A Vote for Obama is a Vote for Jesus!

Yeah, right.

But what really gets me...aside from her asinine remark, is that it will probably be replayed over and over on television...and that many people will blindly go along with what she said because she is a celebrity.

2 comments:

Jeffrey M. Peyton said...

I know, I know. my comments are suddenly all too frequent. That said...

What really steamed me about the "Jesus was a community organizer" thing repeated by several celebs and party faithful alike is the stark irony.

"Community organizing" a la Obama comes from the 70s book "Rules for Radicals: A Practical Primer for Realistic Radicals" by Saul Alinsky.

Alinsky dedicated the book to, well, read it for yourself:

Lest we forget at least an over-the-shoulder acknowledgment to the very first radical: from all our legends, mythology, and history (and who is to know where mythology leaves off and history begins — or which is which), the first radical known to man who rebelled against the establishment and did it so effectively that he at least won his own kingdom — Lucifer.

Laura Stocker said...

Oooooo... food for thought...

...and I LOVE your comments...keep 'em coming!

Most of my 'readers' are family and nearby friends...and most too 'shy' to comment...or they just call me to tell me I'm nuts!