Monday, December 29, 2008

New Year's Resolution: No Resolutions!

I hate New Year’s Resolutions. Mostly I hate them because I have an inability to keep them past January 15. It seems as soon as I tack the word “resolution” onto a phrase, I am dooming it.

So this year, I am not making any resolutions, New Year’s or otherwise. Instead, I just have some ‘ideas’ of things I’d like to accomplish and/or ‘try’ in 2009.

In no particular order…

Eyebrows – I’d like to have my eyebrows professionally shaped. I’ve been having the uni-brow waxed for years…but I think I’d like to see what I might look like with less eye brow bushiness. I mean, what’s the worst that could happen? It’s hair…it will always grow back…right?

And speaking of eyes…I’d really like to develop a great wink. I have wink envy – whenever I try to wink at someone it either looks like I’m having some kind of eye spasm or just comes across as some kind of weird eye twitch. I wink beautifully on instant messenger…just can’t seem to do it in person.

I am going to try really hard to stop lying to my dental hygienist in 2009. I tell precisely two lies per year – every year. Twice a year, whilst having my teeth professionally cleaned, the hygienist asks the magic question: “are you flossing every day?” And every time I look that poor woman right in the eye and say “yes.” And she’s scraping my teeth! She knows I’m lying – and I know she knows I’m lying. This is going to be the year I break the cycle of dental deception!

Doo Rags – I’m going to give wearing a doo-rag a try this year. I see folks – well, mainly urban men – wearing them in Philadelphia and can’t help but wonder if it is a look I could pull off?

Find a Church – I am going to begin test-driving churches in the area – it is well past time that I make a congregational commitment. Let the auditions begin!

No Drive-By Texting – I am going to really try to limit texting whilst driving to true emergencies. As I have been reminded, emergencies rarely involve the need for new shoes or a new handbag!

and finally...in 2009 I am going to try very diligently to talk less and listen more.

Here's to the new year!

No comments: