Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens...

A number of years ago, Oprah starting doing one show each year based on her “Favorite Things” of the previous year. I’m not a huge Oprah fan, but always enjoyed watching the yearly episode – mostly because it always seemed like really cool stuff. Even cooler – she usually gave one of each item to every person in the audience of this special show. This year, in light of the economy, I read that Oprah has decided NOT to do the show – so I’ve decided to pick up the reins and do my own list of “Laura’s Favorite Things 2008.”

And if I could – I’d give one of each to each of you!

My Super Stapler – for years I’ve struggled to keep a decent, working stapler more than a month or so. I’m not sure if it was my tremendous upper body strength or the fact that I try repeatedly to staple too many pages. After breaking my FOURTH stapler in a year in September, I went on a mission to find the perfect stapler – and I did! Enter the Swingline Heavy Duty Stapler! This baby ROCKS – and can staple up to 64 pages with one staple. It’s also indestructible – I’ve dropped it, knocked it off my desk and accidently poured Diet Coke on it! You’ve got to love a stapler that comes with its own toll-free technical support number. I’ve covered mine in Superman stickers. And the entire office knows the penalty for removing it from my desk.

Facebook/Blogging
– After years of selling the importance of social networking and blogging, I finally broke down and set myself up with both a Facebook page and a blog in 2008. And compared to my friend Kevin’s 500+ friends…I have eight. My small but mighty posse. What started out as a lark – and a much needed live demo for a presentation -- has reconnected me with one of my favorite people in the world. And the blogging is FUN – I enjoy the email missives I receive from every one of you after each posting – and it keeps me writing for pleasure on a regular basis.

Mika – “Everybody needs love today” – and Mika has it to offer in droves. Never was a fan of techno-pop until I saw Mika briefly on Good Morning America. A British singer with energy to burn – it is impossible to be in a bad mood whilst listening to Mika’s “Love Today” and “Big Girl You Are Beautiful.” I positively bounce every time I play his music.

Sweet Tea – If 2007 was the year I discovered Starbucks and the Chai Tea Frappacino – 2008 is the year for McDonald’s Sweet Tea. I listened to my husband talk about how good it was for almost a year before I tried it – and am now addicted. Fresh brewed each morning with just the right blending of real sugar – and it comes in one size only – large. Perfect drive-thru stop on the way to Philadelphia.

The Kindle – Talk about a life-change device! The Kindle is Amazon’s eBook reader and it is dynamite! I have not purchased an old-fashioned book since June. Plus – have all my favorite books with me at all times. Whatever I’m in the mood for – it’s there. Love, love, LOVE the Kindle.

GPS – First experienced the Garmin NUVI on a road trip to Charlottesville early in the year – and knew I had to have one. With voice activated turn by turn driving directions – I haven’t been lost, or unable to find Thai food since. And my husband will tell you – I could get lost trying to find our bathroom in the middle of the night. You guessed it – a Phi Beta Kappa with zero sense of direction.

Twilight Books – Again, came to this party late in the game, but quickly got absorbed in the Twilight books. Vampirism has always been a favorite genre of mine, and this gentle story of both teen angst and unrequited love is beautifully told. If you think it’s just a book for tween girls, you would be wrong. The recent movie didn't do much for me -- read the books!

"Jubilee" – this plaintive tune, as performed by Allison Krause is my favorite song of the year. “Spin and turn…live and learn…” Close seconds would be “East to West” and “Does Anybody See Her” from contemporary Christian group Casting Crowns.

The Purpose Driven Life – This book, by Rick Warren, has focused me possibly more than any other book has in years. In relatively simple, bite sized chunks, Warren guides the reader toward discovering true purpose and meaning in life. Do not pass ‘go’ – do not collect $100 – just buy and read this book. I'm currently reading his new book: The Purpose of Christmas...

Superhero flicks – Although I loved The Dark Knight – my favorite films of the year would have to be Ironman (which I’ve now seen a half dozen times) and Hancock.

Wells Fargo REIT II – Ever wanted to own incredible commercial real estate? The Wells Fargo REIT II allows the smaller investor to do so – by far my favorite investment of the year. And I’ve already told Brad that I will need to visit each and every one of the buildings we now “own” a piece of. Road trip!

Coventry Deli “Amy” Sandwich – The Coventry Deli is on the first floor of my biggest client’s building and I often find myself running down from the 24th floor on an especially busy Tuesday to grab a sandwich – the “Amy” is wonderful – fresh carved turkey, thinly sliced apples and creamy brie on fococcia bread. Yum yum got to get you some! Or better yet – meet me at 2000 Market Street on any given Tuesday, and I’ll treat you to one. Really – it’s that tasty.

…and of course, my favorite things of all – which are not ‘things’ – but loved ones, special friends and family!

Merry merry!

No comments: