Monday, December 8, 2008

I'm Mister Green Christmas...I'm Mister Sun...

For most kids, growing up in my neck of the woods -- Christmas meant one thing and one thing only -- time for presents! Long wish lists, letters to Santa Claus and church pageantry.

At my house, however, birth of Jesus aside, Christmas was all about television. Holiday TV specials, holiday episodes of our favorite shows, and we could even get excited about the little Santa riding down the snow covered mountain in a Norelco electric shaver.

And now, technically all grown up, I still look foward to this batch of broadcast nostalgia every year:

A Christmas Story -- a classic. From the "old man" who never had a first name, to Ralphie's longing for an "Official Red Ryder Carbine-Action Two-Hundred-Shot Range Model Air Rifle!" This slice of life had it all. In fact, part of the reason I knew my husband was "the one" was when I first threw out the phrase "fra-ge-lee" in conversation (we started dating around Christmas 1992) and he knew EXACTLY what I was talking about.

A Charlie Brown Christmas -- I started taking piano lessons as a child because I wanted to be able to play the Vince Guaraldi score. And Linus reciting from the Gospel According to Luke at the conclusion gets me everytime.

Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer -- the first Rankin-Bass animation I ever saw. For years I've loved Herbie the elf who wants to be a dentist -- and everyone from the Island of Misfit Toys. And can't forget the wondrous Burl Ives scooting through the snow with his banjo singing "Silver and Gold."

The Grinch That Stole Christmas -- no holiday list would be complete without "the mean one" himself. CindyLou Who never did much for me -- for me, it was all about the Max the Dog -- with that sad tree branch tied to his head.

The House Without a Christmas Tree -- haven't seen this one in years, but remember it well -- the little girl who's father (played by Jason Robards) was so wracked with grief at the passing of his wife, that he couldn't bear to have a Christmas tree in the house.

The Brady Bunch -- although the Brady's did a Christmas eposide every year, none could beat the very first one when Mrs. Brady lost her voice and little Cindy asked Santa to 'give her Mommy's voice back' in time for her to sing O Come All Ye Faithful in church on Christmas!

Holiday Inn -- My Dad and I used to watch this together every year. This film was the first to have Bing Crosby sing the timeless classic White Christmas. And the idea of having an Inn that was only open on holidays was terrific. Love the scenes when Fred Astaire is dancing and throwing firecrackers at his feet!

It's A Wonderful Life -- For years I said I would name my daughter Zuzu! How can you not love a film that reminds us that "everytime a bell rings, an angel gets its wings!" Or the tender moment when a young Mary whispers in George Bailey's (deaf) ear -- "I'll love you George Bailey until the day I die." I'm singing a chorus of "Buffalo Girls Won't You Come Out Tonight" just thinking of it. Quick trivia question -- what does Clarence write in the copy of Tom Sawyer he leaves for George at the end of the film? (Answer below)

And my all time favorite -- A Year Without A Santa Claus!

Santa decides to take a holiday...but the show-stoppers in this one are surely Heat Miser and Snow Miser -- sons of Mother Nature.

All together now:

I'm Mister White Christmas
I'm Mister Snow
I'm Mister Icicle
I'm Mister 40 Below...

And finally, I loved the old Coca Cola "I'd Like to Teach the World to Sing" commercial.

Honorable mentions would have to go to:
Santa Claus is Coming to Town
The Little Drummer Boy
A Christmas Carol (the Alistar Sim version)

and, of course, a shout out to my husband's all time favorite: Mr. Magoo's Christmas Carol!

Happy Viewing!

** Answer to trivia question: "No man is a failure who has friends."

No comments: