Wednesday, November 26, 2008

I'd like to thank the Academy...

Thanksgiving has always been one of my favorite days of the year – a time to reflect on the previous twelve months and remember all for which I am grateful. And the list, as always, is lengthy.

This year was wonderful in many ways – one of which was the fact that after 41 years, I am FINALLY working on Broadway! Well, in actuality, it’s FOR Broadway, but the offices are, in fact, overlooking Broadway, so I’m sticking with my original thought.

In honor of that distinction, I thought, in lieu of a traditional list of all those people and things for which I am thankful, I’d work it into my long-awaited Tony Awards Acceptance Speech! (Come on…you know we’ve all stood in front of a mirror at some point and practiced ‘the speech…’)

Picture it: New York City – June 7, 2009…Radio City Music Hall...

…and the winner is LAURA STOCKER (thunderous applause as I make my way to the Radio City stage, where upon I gently accept the award from presenter Terrence Mann…I allow Terry to kiss my cheek and then turn to the microphone…)

“Thank you! Thank you! This means so much to me – I can’t even find the words – but will give it my best shot!

First of all, I must offer my congratulations to other fine actors in this category – Kristin, Linda, Karen and Audra – just being nominated in your company was enough for me – I am honored to share this evening with you talented ladies!

Where to start? At the very top of course – I’d like to thank God – without whom I would not be standing here today. I am so incredibly blessed and grateful to the Lord for his never-ending forgiveness and for putting me on this path.

My parents – my Dad was my biggest fan – whether I was on stage or off. The first to ever shout “Sing OUT Louise!” to me, and in our final moments together I was singing show tunes to him. Pop – it may be my name on this award – but it is YOURS in every way that matters!

My wonderful husband – thank you for saying I look pretty even when I do not –for making sure that my clothes match before I leave the house in the morning, and for all those accessory suggestions! Look honey – I learned all the words! The best director I ever had --I wouldn’t be here without you!

My friends…my small but mighty posse – you know who you are and each and every one of you knows what you mean to me. Special shout-outs to Kevin, Marky Mark and Peyton – look Emma – I said your Daddy’s name on national TV! And Kevin – I’m doing my best to not ‘mug’ at the camera!

For my sisters Kathy and Paula – Kathy punched out the neighbor kid when we were little after he made fun of my singing: ‘my sister has a beautiful voice you lunkhead!’ And Paula, who never got to play Mary in the Christmas pageant and always had to sing harmony so I could shine!

For my brother who disappeared for years, but returned when it was important and showed us all what being a family meant!

Two teachers who made an impact – my beloved Miss Willis who taught me to ‘seize the day’ and Mrs. Witmer – who refused to give me a decent part in one of her musicals. One of you believed in me, and one of you made me want to prove you wrong. How do you like me NOW Mrs. Witmer?

And for the Pipeline Gang – thanks for letting me sing in the office almost constantly – and apologies for the tap dancing induced scuff marks on the hard wood floors – gotta dance!

And finally, to the cast and crew of Superman the Musical – you lift me up, both literally and figuratively with each new performance.

Thank you again – I will treasure this award almost as much as I treasure the village behind me that made it happen. Good night!”

1 comment:

Rose625 said...

Personally, I believe you to be in excellent company as I was KICKED OUT of the musical by Mrs. Witmer. You can sing and dance for me anytime.