Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Bright copper kettles and warm woolen mittens...

Last year I wrote a silly "Favorite Things" blog entry, based on Oprah's annual show - where unsuspecting members of her studio audience received all kinds of glorious stuff...I wasn't going to do it again this year, but have had several emails from friends and family members requesting a new list, so here goes:

Lolly's Favorite Things - 2009 Edition

1. GLEE - I've loved watching the new Fox TV Show Glee since its first airing - the marriage of high school angst with musical theatre! My favorite Glee moment wasn't actually from the show itself...it was me asking my friend Kevin why he thought they portrayed the Glee Club kids as such misfits? After all, I was like that in HS, and I wasn't a geek...right? Kevin just looked at me and said, "Oh Laura..."

2. I've often said that BACON is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy, and 2009 was definitely the year I rediscovered bacon. From the Baconator at Wendy's to my obsession with the mere concept of chicken fried bacon to my discovery of Bacon Salt - it's all about the bacon. Which leads neatly into #3:

3. In October I began exercising regularly again (all that bacon!), and have taken up KICKBOXING - what a great cardio workout - not to mention a way to work out all of my frustration. And after accidentally kicking a fellow classmate on the first day, I am pleased to report that I've not injured anyone else - myself included!

4. What was I waiting for? In January 2009, we finally got high speed wireless internet here at Stately Stocker Manor...how in the world did we survive before we could carry our laptops from room to room? Many is the night you'll find both hubby and me both watching TV with laptops a-whirling...

5. Mr. Clean Magic Eraser - this little white sponge can clean up almost anything -- where have you been hiding all my life Mr. Clean? It takes marks off white walls, scuz and scum off the floors and shower walls, and bird scat off white pick-up trucks. Amazing!

6. Cecil Whitaker's Pizza - my first trip to St. Louis and my first exposure to this incredible ultra-flat pizza with Pravel cheese. Utterly delicious - can't wait to go back and eat more! A close second place to a restaurant chain called Steak n Shake - none in Central PA - but best milkshakes I've ever had - half chocolate, half vanilla! Plus they give you a really cool diner-style hat to wear!

7. Favorite Song of 2009 - "Take A Bow" as sung by Lea Michele in Glee:

"You put on quite a show, really had me going
Now it's time to go, curtain's finally closing..."

Of course I first heard this song moments after being told that my services would no longer be required at the company I'd helped found ten years earlier...

8. Kristin Chenowith - this pint-sized dynamo (who is probably sick to death of being called a pint-sized dynamo!) starred in my favorite now-defunct show "Pushing Daisies" - and made a hysterical guest appearance on Glee - singing my second favorite song of the year: "Alone" - originally made famous by Heart. Loved her new Christmas album and her autobiography published this year. The uber-talented Ms. Chenowith makes me want to be a better singer...a better writer...and a better Christian!

9. How in the world did I get to age 41 without having seen an IMAX movie? Went to my first IMAX 3-D movie this year - WHOA! I'm now ruined for other movie theatres -- the scope, the sound, the funny glasses!

10. Virginia Diner Peanuts - I've always been a lover of the nut, but these peanuts from Virginia are truly outstanding - and each is roughly the size of my pinky finger! These peanuts are like my own personal brand of crack - they are that good!

11. Biggest thrill of the year - riding the Superman roller coaster with my buddy Elliott at Great Adventure! BEST roller coaster EVER - and I'm not just saying that because it is modeled after my all time favorite superhero. You ride face down (and if you're like me, arms extended) and it really feels like you are flying! Unbelievable rush - can't wait to return next summer and try it again!

And it goes without saying that I continue to be loved and supported by friends and family - without whom the silly stuff mentioned above wouldn't have nearly as much meaning!

Cheers!







No comments: