Monday, October 26, 2009

Soupy Sales and the Three Mrs. Kosses


Two days of sadness recently for the Baker clan - we lost two of our favorite people - Soupy Sales, and Mr. (Frank) Kos.

When I first met Soupy Sales, I didn't know he was famous - he was simply a friend of my Dad's coming into town to help with a March of Dimes telethon. He always called me "Nora" - even after I corrected him, saying that "Nora was a MUCH funnier name than Laura."

He also taught me the importance of the word "duck" - particularly when someone was approaching with a cream-based pie.

But what I liked best about Soupy was the way he and my Pop would banter - even though most of the time I had no idea what was so funny. I just loved hearing the two of them laugh.

I last spoke to Soupy right after my Dad died - he was unwell and unable to make the service - but wanted "Nora" and the gang to know that St. Peter was most likely waiting for my Pop with a cream-filled pie in his hands. Dad would have loved that!

My sister, Kath, emailed me to let me know that Mr. Kos had passed away. He was our neighbor for several years on Mercer Street in Harrisburg - and was almost as much of a hoot as Soupy was - albeit with a thick Slovakian accent. I loved listening to Mr. Kos talk - the rhythm of it - I was probably the only kid on the block who could imitate Mr. Kos perfectly.

One day, I was trying to impress the neighborhood kids with my Mr. Kos impersonation, not realizing the Mr. Kos was walking up the street behind me. I was so upset when I saw him - and was certain he would yell at me - or tell my Dad that I was making fun of him.

He did neither - simply told me to "watch my v's" if I wanted to truly sound Slovakian!

His then wife, the lovely Mrs. Kos, was a favorite of my sister Kathy. Each night, before bed, when she would say her prayers, they always ended the same way:

"...I pray the Lord my soul to take...God bless Daddy and Lolly and Paula and Grandma and Uncle Mike and Smokey and the three Mrs. Kosses."

There was, of course, only one Mrs. Kos - but trying to convince a three-year-old of that was near impossible - so for years she asked God's blessing for all three of them.

I think in honor of both of them, I will speak with a slovac accent for the rest of the day, and make Soupy's favorite dish: Chicken Catch A Tory!

:)

No comments: