Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Sixteen going on seventeen...

By my family’s standards, I got married late in life.

I was 28.

Both my sisters married young – I don’t believe either was of legal drinking age when they tied the knot.

If you asked my Dad, he would have told you that “Laura is SO picky.” And I was. He was always the first in the family to “fall in love” with one of the guys I was dating. Well before the term “bromance” was popular, my Pop adored David…Gordon…Chris…Matt…Henry (I think he may have gotten choked up when I broke it off with Henry – they had much in common!).

I was always looking for something elusive…something I couldn’t quite put my finger on – until I met Brad.

Within two or three dates, it was crystal clear – the missing link was that the other guys “weren’t Brad.”

Who would have thought that a mind-manner school teacher from New Jersey would capture my affections?

Now, as we celebrate our 16th anniversary, it’s still Brad.

Brad who makes me laugh…Brad who supports me no matter what. He understands my fiercely independent nature, my wacky sense of humor, my love of all things Superman, my need to make a difference, and my propensity to break into song without warning.

I think a lot of people are “in love with the idea of being in love.” They require fireworks 24/7. When the initial “wow factor” wears off, they get bored…or worse, go looking elsewhere for new fireworks.

Now, don’t misunderstand -- I enjoy fireworks as much as the next person (Oooo….Ahhhh…) but I am a believer that sometimes love comes softly.

When I think back on some of those ill-fated relationships, I can see that it wasn’t the fellows that were the problem – I was the problem. I was the one adapting myself, my personality to suit THEM. In effect, I was playing the role of “Henry’s Girlfriend” – not being my true self.

With Brad, from day one – never an issue. In fact, with those in my inner circle – not an issue.

Sixteen years later – still not an issue.

The love that came softly was the love with staying power.

No comments: