Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Happy Meals

The first meal I ever made for my husband was a concoction called Turkey Lasagna Roll-Ups.

He spit it out.

Literally.

I mis-understood the recipe, not realizing that cooked ground turkey was the main ingredient, and substituted sliced turkey from the deli counter.

A week later I decided to surprise him with stuffed potato skins – a treat I knew he enjoyed ordering in restaurants when we were dating. I mean, really – how hard could it be? I scooped out the potato innards, filled them with cheese and bacon and put it under the broiler for a few minutes until all golden and bubbly.

He was surprised all right – apparently you are supposed to START with cooked (boiled, baked, whatever) potatoes. I served him raw potato with melted cheese and bacon.

We eat out quite a bit, as I’m sure you can imagine.

As the years have passed, I’ve certainly gotten better – although still best known for my appetizers and desserts – I can make rumaki and pastry with the best of them. But Brad still reminds me to “keep it simple” at least once a week.

Somehow the culinary gene missed me. I come from a family of really great cooks. My Mom’s creamed turkey on biscuits…Aunt Kathy’s cranberry salad or even better her homemade chicken noodle soup…Granny’s cornbread (haven’t had it in 20 years but still dream about it!). My Dad even hosted a radio cooking show!

Apparently none of this rubbed off on me.

My husband’s favorite meal would involve a steak or even meatloaf and potatoes. I like sauces and ethnic food. He likes soup the way his Mom used to make it – I tend to load it up with extra carrots. I love to read cookbooks and try new things. He wants to know EXACTLY what is in something before he brings his fork to his mouth.

I look at dining as an adventure – he just wants his supper.

Even what we would consider comfort food differs. I love homemade mac and cheese or chile in my big pot…he likes Stouffers Lasagne.

But in 2008 we found one dish I can successfully make that we both love – we have agreed on my fried chicken as my best homemade meal.

I actually found the recipe online – it’s Italian fried chicken served with homemade pasta sauce that has both basil and bacon in it. Delicious.

And – I haven’t, as Brad would say “messed with it” – I make it exactly as the recipe says. (What can I say? I do love to tinker with things…)

Its official name is Chicken Bill Conte – but in my mind it’s actually Chicken Switzerland – the one dish on which we can both agree.

Email me for the recipe.

No comments: