Friday, October 24, 2008

375 Channels...and little of interest...

Just received another of my twice yearly letters from Comcast, our local cable company, raising my rates again. But unlike the the February missive, this one had a bonus! We will now be receiving three NEW channels: The Golf Channel, The Sportsman Channel and The History Channel en EspaƱol!

And, at no additional charge!

Now I am certain that much research went into the selection of the new channels now offered to those of us residing in Pennsylvania Dutch Country. And we do have a large population of Latinos in our area that I'm equally sure have been clamoring for The History Channel... I'll even grant the powers that be the Sportsman Channel, which I'm assuming (perhaps incorrectly) is focused toward hunters and fishermen.

But The Golf Channel?

If Comcast is really interested in providing truly audience specific programming options, I've a few to suggest:

The Austen Channel -- All Jane Austen! All the time! Classic Jane Austen films, made for TV movies and videotaped book clubs! Travelogues with titles like "I'd Rather Be At Pemberly"...and a great morning show called "Breakfast with the Darcys." Okay...there were only five books, so I'd be willing to expand to include the Bronte sisters...

V -- The Vampire Network -- A channel dedicated to goth culture and vampirism. Can you picture the evening talk show? Interview with the Vampire! Room here for both Buffy fans and Twilighters alike.

Curtains -- A channel dedicated to Broadway -- The Great White Way!

Tiara Television --In addition to Miss America highlights, it could show reruns of Designing Women ("...And THAT Marjorie, was the Night The Lights Went Out In Georgia!"

And finally (you had to see this coming):

Blue Tights TV -- you guessed it -- a channel devoted to the world's favorite Superhero - Superman! I'd even be willing to expand it to include the entire DC universe. Superfriends on Saturday mornings, afternoons with George Reeves, all four seasons of Lois & Clark. Plus a whole programming block on "Finding the Superhero Within..."

Who is with me?

No comments: