Friday, October 17, 2008

Ode to my Chicken Salad Sandwich

Admittedly, I'm a foodie.

I just love food...making it, eating it, dining in, dining out...and I can get equally excited about the perfect toasted cheese sandwich or Lobster Thermodor.

I enjoy just reading cookbooks. I have dozens of them...most of which have never been used to actually prepare a meal -- just like reading the recipes and looking at the pretty pictures of food.

Most days, breakfast is barely digested before I'm thinking about lunch.

And while I'm not the greatest cook, I like to think I'm well known in my small circle for my hors-d'oevres, appetizers and desserts.

I once stayed an extra day in Paris, just so I could visit the famous Laduree bakery!

My husband knows I'll follow him just about anywhere with the promise of a good meal. And again, equally happy at Joe's Steaks or Susanna Foo.

But today's missive is about the perfect chicken salad sandwich.

Honestly, I'm not a huge sandwich gal. My lunch preferences are usually along the lines of something ethnic (egg rolls? thai noodles?) or salad, with the odd chicken mcnugget thrown in.

That was before I discovered, no -- stumbled upon Barb & Suzi's stand at the Lebanon Farmer's Market.

The market is about two blocks from my office and has a number of good food options, not too surprisingly, most of them are centered around Pennsylvania Dutch cooking -- not one of my favorites.

But Barb & Suzi have a deli that has the most incredible chicken salad I've ever tasted.

I can't even begin to describe it -- but will try: picture big chunks of grilled chicken, chopped dates, cranberries, pineapple, finely chopped celery in a dressing that I'm guessing has equal parts mayo and sour cream.

YUM!

I could eat it out of a bowl with a spoon -- but usually get it on white bread. No white bread today, so I got it on a croissant.

I wouldn't care if they served it to me on tree bark -- it's THAT good. And the big scoop they put on my bread makes it a meal in and of itself -- although they are willing to add lettuce or tomato if you like (I don't -- I'm a chicken salad purist).

So...if you're paying me a visit and that visit might involve food (although I'd be hard-pressed to imagine me entertaining anyone without food)...plan for a Thursday or Friday -- as those are days the Farmer's Market is open.

See me on a Tuesday if you want Thai or Asian fusion...

1 comment:

Jeffrey M. Peyton said...

How about a burger and fries? Or a pepperoni pizza?