Monday, April 27, 2009

Sing out Louise!

I was probably about four years old or so the first time I performed publicly.

My father was hosting a March of Dimes “Ways & Means” committee meeting at our house, and at some point during the evening, he called me downstairs, picked me up, stood me on an end table, and said “Listen to my little girl sing!”

I performed a soul-stirring (at least in my young mind) rendition of “Joy to the World” (Three Dog Night) – or as I liked to call the song, “Jeremiah Was a Bullfrog.”

My father beamed at me the entire time I performed – it was the greatest feeling! And then, when I was done, the other five gentlemen in the room clapped! They actually clapped for me!

I’ve been “following the applause” ever since.

What followed were years and years of performances – both at school and in the community, and years and years of dance lessons, music lessons, etc.

And let’s be honest – I was a good singer, but not a GREAT singer. I loved to do it, but always had more “personality” than “talent.”

I majored in theatre in college, and while having many small successes, it became clear early on that I was probably not Broadway-bound.

And here’s where my Dad probably did me the biggest favor – he was honest with me. He would critique my performances, and gently suggest other directions. He showed me how I could translate my love of theatre into other disciplines – like broadcasting, radio, public relations, marketing – my first job out of college was as spokesperson for a local theme park with lot’s of camera time – and minimal singing.

My father thought his baby girl was the most talented kid in the world – but he was always realistic with his expectations.

I think this is why I can’t bring myself to watch American Idol until the final ten contestants or so. Seeing the heartbreak on some of these kids faces as they are told to go home – kids who really, truly thought they were talented – gut wrenching!

And I’m not talking about the bozos who are just looking for the 5 minutes of fame – I’m talking about the kids who have been told all their lives how talented they are – and they are not. Why would a parent (or teacher/mentor) do such a thing?

All these years later, I still love to sing. And I sing every chance I get. Locally, people have paid to hear me sing – I’ve gotten many compliments over the years, ovations and requests. I’d even hazard to say that for a time, I was fairly well-known in Lebanon County for singing and acting in local productions.

And I still love the applause!

But, outside my own active fantasy life, I don’t kid myself that I’ll be on the Great White Way anytime soon. And I continue to be in awe of friends, like Kevin "Big Guns" Biddle, who are truly gifted.

To quote Karen Carpenter: “…don’t worry that it’s not good enough, for anyone else to hear…just sing…sing a song.”