Tuesday, April 7, 2009

My boy friend is back!

I spent a considerable amount of time, my senior year in high school, explaining to other girls, and some family members, that Peyton was NOT my 'boyfriend,' but my 'boy friend' -- my friend who happened to be a boy.

I don't know why this was such a difficult concept for some folks to grasp.

He was the new kid that year, infinitely cooler than I was, and the object of several junior and senior girls' affection. I was always getting cornered and asked if Peyton was "available" by these girls -- or if he was "taken" (guessing they assumed by ME) or if I knew if "he liked so and so."

And, as tight as Peyton and I were, we really didn't discuss his dating habits. I knew which girl he crushed on most and he surely knew for whom I cried my puppy dog tears -- but that was as far as it went.

We were friends...buddies...pals... we talked constantly -- and had so many more important topics to discuss.

He was so interesting - even back then. Smart, witty, and articulate. Could make me laugh like nobody's business. Ferried me around in his car. Listened to my incessant babbling about whatever had my knickers in a twist on any particular day.

He had opinions on everything -- and loved to share them. Most times we agreed - sometimes we did not -- it didn't matter. Sometimes we enjoyed arguing more than we enjoyed agreement.

I was always amazed that this cool guy was my friend.

But I graduated and went to college and his family ultimately moved back to Virginia...and in the blink of an eye 20 years passed without contact.

But he's BACK!

About halfway through last year, Peyton found me again. And suddenly, this hole I didn't even realize was there, was full again. The friend I hadn't realized I'd missed, was back.

And it was GREAT.

The years between changed us little -- a few more gray hairs for him...a few pounds and wrinkles for me -- but the bond, the connection was stronger than ever.

And now, my fondest wish is coming true -- this very weekend, he, his beautiful wife and uber-cool daughter are moving back to Pennsylvania -- nine short miles from my very home!

I can hardly wait!

No comments: