Friday, January 30, 2009

Batter up!

My father was a wise man -- some would jokingly say a "wise guy."

He loved his life, his wife and kids -- and wanted the very best for all of us -- but understood and always tried to convey that you had to work and work hard to achieve your goals -- regardless of how large and overwhelming or small, and seemingly insignificant.

No where was this more evident than on a sports field. I am not an athlete, but enjoyed playing sports all through elementary and high school -- even into college. All the Baker kids played sports -- but our family pastime was definitely baseball -- or in the case of me and my sisters, softball.

We all loved to play -- and during different periods of our scholastic careers, both Mom and Dad coached our teams -- or acted as scorekeepers, or umpires. They were involved, always.

Softball was great fun -- we were all good players -- and I almost always played catcher. To this day, I can hold a squat longer than almost anyone else I know -- and used to get in trouble for using just a bit too much 'chatter' behind the plate.

Where I struggled was batting. My Dad would practice with me, throwing balls to me for hours on end. And I would get frustrated at my inability to make significant contact with the ball. And we'd practice and we'd practice.

His favorite refrain -- "Lolly -- swing with your WHOLE body -- not just your arms!" Or "You're swinging with just your arms again -- you're chopping wood!"

And he was right -- that's exactly what I was doing.

In time, I became great at bat -- Oh, I wasn't going to win any college scholarships, but I was solid player - a base hitter - a "Charlie Hustle" as Pop used to say.

And I learned and always remembered that lesson that he taught me in our backyard -- to always give it, regardless of what "it" was -- EVERYTHING you've got.

To this day, I get frustrated with myself -- get really angry at myself -- for not being the best -- strongest, fastest, smartest (pick one or all). For not nailing every ball that comes my way, real or imagined. I hate showing any sign of weakness - even around those for whom I care most.

Some days I catch myself "chopping wood" -- not giving it my all, or feeling sorry for myself.

Some days, even if I do "swing with my entire body" it is simply not enough - some things are outside my control (gasp!).

Those are the hardest days of all.

I am learning, or trying very hard to learn, to allow my new found faith to strengthen me -- to be strong in the Lord and in the strength of his might. To allow HIS strength to pull me up, when I feel like chopping wood.

And I'm getting there.

And if I listen closely I can hear both voices in my head, both my Pop and my heavenly Father, whispering ... batter up!

3 comments:

Mike Anderson said...

It sounds to me like you need to have lunch with a certain uncle. You know, the one your Pop left in charge.
But hey, that's just me.

Laura Stocker said...

Always, always, always. I'll call you later today.

Jeffrey M. Peyton said...

Somehow this doesn't sound at ALL like the Lolly I know. :)