Sunday, June 29, 2008

You say it's your birthday? It's my birthday too!

I love my birthday!

I really do.

And it's not about presents -- althought I certainly love getting presents. And it's not about being the center of attention -- although those who know me well, know that that's not an issue for me either.

It's about memories. And looking foward.

As a child, my parents always made a big deal out of our birthdays. My Mom would make these incredible cakes -- I can recall Barbie cakes and fancy frosting, a cake that looked like a construction site with matchbox cars -- even a carousel cake that my father set on fire!

We were not much for actual parties -- but there was always some kind of activity -- bowling, miniature golf, a Phillies game -- and it was always fun.

The older I get, the less important the stuff has become -- and the importance has shifted to simply having a nice day and relaxing a bit. Since I've been married, our trip to the shore has often coincided with my birthday -- which is nice and relaxing. And my husband always manages to surprise me.

The only downside to this whole birthday thing is the 'getting older' part -- it's difficult sometimes to acknowledge that I'm not as young as I used to be... but I can honestly say that I wouldn't want to go back.

Not that it was ever an option.

Happy Birthday to me!

No comments: