Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Oddities that make me smile

We all have them -- those little things -- oddities, if you will, that please us in some truly unique way.

For example -- I get some sort of tremendous pleasure from opening a new jar of peanut butter and being the first person to put a knife into the virgin jar. I don't know why this is -- it just is. It gets even better -- I don't even really LIKE peanut butter. Yet, I get truly giddy each time I realize that I'm opening the new jar.

You might wonder if I get the same satisfaction from opening, say, a new jar of jelly...nope. Nada. Zilch. Nothing. It's just a jar of jelly. Nothing special. No brief moment of happiness. And I've tested it with other spreadables as well -- butter, frosting, etc. Not even the briefest twinge of excitement....it is completely centered around peanut butter -- which I don't eat.

Maybe it's a comfort thing?

But I think we all have these little "things" that please us in a weird not-able-to-be-defined way.

Another one for me is the "pull through" -- you know, when you get into a parking and lot, pull into a parking space and realize that you can "pull through" to the facing parking space (and not have to back out of the space). Again -- a little thing that pleases me tremendously.

And tiny paper umbrellas -- for some reason, I just LOVE tiny paper umbrellas -- whether in a drink or a fancy dessert -- ANYTHING tastes better with a tiny paper umbrella in it. And it's usually a surprise -- "oh! -- my spumoni has a tiny paper umbrella in it" -- a tiny paper umbrella can make an entire meal better.

And I have no idea why.

May your day be filled with fresh jars of peanut butter, multiple pulls through and tiny paper umbrellas!

Or whatever gives YOU that unexpected thrill.

No comments: